Friday, December 28, 2007

The Squeaky Wheel Revisited

I must admit, I was surprised when I got no response to my letter to Sam's Club regarding my tire debacle. I thought they would at least give me a halfhearted apology; after all, I am a paid member of their club who said I didn't want to come back.

But yesterday, they came through.

Ruben, an assistant manager, gave me a call to ask what could be done to resolve the situation. Much like I did when I spoke to UPS last year, I tried to sound as nice as possible so he would know I am not a bitch, just not willing to take crappy customer service with a smile. He was pretty nice; he said he talked to the folks in the tire department, and none of them seemed to remember me or what had happened. (Of course they didn't.) But he did apologize for the "breakdown in the system."

He also offered me a $48 gift card to Sam's Club, which is the amount of the road hazard protection for all four tires. I thought that was fair and happily agreed, thanking him for his attention to my letter. I just hope he really does do something about the problem, because he's gonna be handing out a lot of gift cards if he doesn't.

No comments: