Thursday, December 13, 2007

I Am The Most Fascinating Person Ever: Christmas Edition

1. Wrapping paper or gift bags?

Wrapping paper, unless it's something hard to wrap and I happen to have a gift bag lying around.

2. Real tree or Artificial?

Real real real. I will never have an artificial tree, unless it is put up over my dead body.

3. When do you put up the tree?

Eh, the first or second weekend of December.

4. When do you take the tree down?

My first day off after New Year's Day.

5. Do you like egg nog?

I drank about ten gallons of soy egg nog last year. I was up to three quarts this year, but then I got a bad batch of nog, and I think I'm done with it till Christmas 2008.

6. Favorite gift received as a child?

I remember being really excited the year I got my chalk board and my baton.

7. Do you have a nativity scene?

Yes, although I'm not sure why. My mom gave it to me, although we're not terribly religious folks, which is pretty much proven by the fact that there's one figure in there whose identity I can't figure out. I think he must be the innkeeper or something.

8. Hardest person to buy for?

My dad, unless Harry Turtledove has come out with a few books that year.

9. Easiest person to buy for?

My brother-in-law, so long as they keep making ferret calendars and lawn gnome memorabilia.

10. Mail or e-mail Christmas cards?

Mail, but I haven't sent any in a few years.

11. Worst Christmas gift you ever received?

I think the classic dead mouse from my great-grandfather will always top this list. I am so going to win a contest with that one someday.

12. Favorite Christmas movie?

White Christmas

13. When do you start shopping for Christmas?

Whenever I feel like it, usually around the beginning of December. That way, I feel like I'm totally on the ball and then (much like this year) in mid-December, I freak out and realize I've only bought two gifts and have a long way to go and no ideas.

14 . Have you ever recycled a Christmas present?

Not as a present. But I have, on occasion, given things to people in the "I got this as a present and don't want it; do you?" way.

15. Favorite thing to eat at Christmas?

Cookies, Chex Mix, stuffing and scrapple.

16. Clear lights or colored on the tree?

Colored. It's more festive.

17. Favorite Christmas song?

The holidays don't really begin till I've heard Elvis' "Blue Christmas."

18. Travel at Christmas or stay home?

The hub and I rotate, so last year, we went to his parents' house (which is in Illinois) and this year, we're heading for Pennsylvania and some homemade pumpkin pie at my parents' house.

19. Can you name all of Santa's reindeer?

Not only can I name them all, I can tell you about how two former coworkers of mine got into a heated month-long debate (it felt that long, anyway, it was probably only like an hour) about whether the one reindeer's name was Donner or Donder.

20. Angel on the tree top or a star?

Always a star. I like stars.

21. Open the presents Christmas Eve or morning?

When I was a little kid, we used to open one on Christmas Eve and the rest on Christmas morning. Now, we just open them all at once. Except for last year, when I opened the gifts from my mom the day after Christmas because UPS went Grinch on me.

22. Most annoying thing about this time of year?

The fact that it makes people so mean, and also the fact that you can't run into any store just for one quick thing.

23. Favorite ornament theme or color?

I'm not much of a theme gal when it comes to Christmas; I like my ornaments to have meaning. I still have the popsicle stick sled I made when I was in preschool, the foil gift box I made in fifth grade and all of the ornaments my mom has bought me over the years, even the scary-ass clown that I make a point to hang on the back of the tree where no one can see it.

24. Favorite for Christmas dinner?

Stuffing and mashed potatoes. I don't really care about anything else.

25. What do you want for Christmas this year?

Life has been very stressful and busy for me lately, so all I really want is a nice, relaxing visit with my family. And a great big TV.

No comments: