Saturday, December 15, 2007

Everywhere A Moo Moo

Just when I was thinking about becoming a vegan (or at least thinking like one), my husband and I had a corresponding weekday off and spent part of it at Fogo de Chao, a Brazilian steakhouse in downtown Chicago.

For those who have not visited such an establishment, you know that Cheerios commercial where the people are walking around the grocery store and all they have are Cheerios? Fogo is like that, except all they have is meat. Well, and some side dishes no one eats. What happens is, these guys carrying gigantic cuts of meat come to your table, and if you want some of it, you say so, they cut a portion for you and move on. They bring bread, mashed potatoes, polenta and fried bananas to your table, but no one ever eats much of that stuff.

I had been to a Brazilian steakhouse before, but I had such a horrible meat hangover the next day that I was reluctant to go back. My husband, however, is a typical man who loves this veritable meat buffet, so when his friends asked if we wanted to go, I agreed.

I almost didn't get to eat anything; it took about 20 minutes for me to get someone to tell me whether any of the meats are prepared with butter (many better establishments brush their steaks with butter before serving them). And once I got the go-ahead, I went ahead, filling up on filet, top sirloin, sausage and other meaty goodness. I came home with another meat hangover.

I think I'm ready to become a vegan now.

1 comment:

hellokitty9276 said...

come join me in vegan land!! i have 22 day in and i feel great!