Thursday, December 20, 2007

Teacher's Pet

Class is officially in session.

Last night was Stella's first official night of puppy school. We were both excited, but for different reasons. I was excited for her to meet new dogs and learn about good behavior, and she was excited to try the chicken breast we had baked for her in response to the trainer's instruction to bring "really great treats."

On the way to class, Stella and I had a talk. I let her know that while she was there to make friends and have fun, she was also there to learn. I think she might have taken me a little too seriously.

For the first class, we learned the basics of "sit," "watch" and "leave it." At six months, Stella is very good at "sit," and has even moved beyond "watch" to "stay." We've been working on "leave it" here and there as well, so she did very well at her studies.

I've been told that Boston Terriers are "food motivated," and knowing my little piglet, I don't doubt it, but I'm afraid the want of treats is making Stella the class suck up. Every time the trainer came close, Stella would sit and face her in the "ready position," just waiting to be praised. At first, I was proud that she was behaving so well, while other dogs were barking and pulling on their leashes, but at "recess," I realized just how far Stella was willing to go to be the star pupil.

The trainer split us up into two groups of three dogs and, one group at a time, told us to take our dogs off leash so they could have some social time. The other two dogs in our group scampered after each other, while Stella stayed on the sidelines, sniffing the ground for any treats that might not have been grabbed. While the other dogs played, Stella was doing cleanup.

Good God. My dog is the hall monitor.

The trainer assured us that she'll come out of her shell and eventually start playing with the other pups in class. I hope so; I want her to get used to being around other dogs, and I want her to enjoy her time at puppy school.

And hey, at least she's a good student. That's a relief. If my dog has to be a loner, I'd much rather she be Diane Court than Allison Reynolds.

1 comment:

hellokitty9276 said...

i certainly hope that one day stella meets her lloyd dobbler.