Friday, July 27, 2007

Simple Solutions

I'd heard good things about the magazine Real Simple but hadn't thought much about checking it out until today, when I stumbled on an online article from the magazine and subsequently went all over the Web site looking for more helpful tips.

I couldn't help thinking of time- or space-saving things I do already, or just small things that make my life easier.

To make sure I never lose a sock, I keep my socks safety pinned. When I put them on, the pin comes out, and when I take them off to throw in the laundry, the pin goes back in. My grandfather used to do this, and it's actually quite useful. I never have to worry about stray socks.

I keep my closet organized by hanging clothes by type of garment (going left to right, it's short-sleeved shirts, long-sleeved shirts, capri pants, long pants, short skirts, long skirts, dresses) hung from lightest to darkest. If I need a specific item, I always know right where to find it. It's also helpful when I'm considering a shopping trip, as I can look right in my closet and see what I have in abundance and what is lacking.

I don't like to take the time in the morning to make a lunch, so I've taken to making huge pots of chili or soup and freezing it in plastic single-serving containers. Each morning, I pull a container out, let it thaw throughout the morning and voila, I have a delicious lunch ready to go!

When I got my first apartment, I typed up all of my favorites of my mom's recipes and put them into a binder with clear protective covers on each page. Over the years, I've added, taken away and reorganized recipes, but it's always nice to have a handy book available with all of my favorite recipes. An added bonus is that my other recipe books don't get too greasy or messy, because after I've tried a recipe a few times and determined it a "keeper," it goes into my personal collection.

I'm a big fan of 100 calorie packs, and I always like to have a variety so I don't get tired of eating the same kind all the time. So instead of keeping four different boxes in the pantry, I put the little bags in a basket and recycle the boxes. It saves space, and when I just grab and go, the snack is always a surprise!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Real Simple? LOL, just like me! :D

I organised my wardrobe like that once. It didn't last too long.