Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Seeking The Perfect Otis

For as long as we've lived together, my husband and I have talked about getting a dog.

Until recently, we weren't actually allowed to have one, due to the bylaws of our condo association. In February, however, we learned that the rules had changed and dogs were now allowed, although there's a weight limit. For months, we went back and forth about getting a dog; it's a big decision, after all. They're a big responsibility; they have to be groomed, walked, trained, etc., and making sure they're healthy can get expensive, fast. Ultimately, we decided to hold off for a little while, simply because it wouldn't be fair to leave the dog home during the day while we're at work.

We already have a fish, Ivan, and we (alright, I) probably love him way more than anyone should love a fish. Sure, he's not cuddly or anything, but he's very friendly; he swims right up to the side of his bowl when I say hello to him, and he watches TV with me (he likes dramas best).

A few weeks ago, my husband gave me a card with a picture of a dog looking at a fish in a fish bowl. It was very cute and friendly-like, and on the inside, he wrote that he thought Ivan would like a four-legged pal. I had to agree. After all, Ivan can't enjoy being left at home alone all day. It would be nice if he had a friend to keep him company.

After having the discussion once again, we (my husband and I -- Ivan didn't really participate) realized that, because of our work schedules, the dog would only be left alone (well, with Ivan) a few days out of the week. And yes, a dog is a big responsibility, but we just couldn't deny that the pros of having a little furry friend far outweighed the cons.

The only problem, was finding a breed that fits our lifestyle (and condo association rules) and that both of us will like. On Sunday, we visited a pet store and a shelter in our area to get a feel for what's out there. We didn't find much. The weight limit enforced by the association is only 30 lbs. or so, which severely limits our options. Most dogs small enough are stupid, ugly step-on dogs.

So on Sunday, we went out on a fact-finding mission at our local pet store. We're not likely to pay hundreds of dollars for a pet store puppy when we can get a dog who really needs a home by visiting a shelter, one who has already been given his or her shots and has likely been spayed or neutered. But we thought that seeing different breeds might help us choose better once we get to the shelter.

We weren't expecting to fall in love.

He was a bulldog/beagle mix, and he was white with brown spots. He was little and squdgy and cute and looked at us as if to say, yes, please, take me home and love me. I am the dog for you. We even named him, Otis, the perfect name for such an adorable, floppy-eared, friendly, sweet dog. I began to think that buying a pet store dog might not be such a bad thing.

Then I looked at the price tag and found out that Otis costs $800. That's a bit steep for a mixed breed dog, I think, and while you can't put a price on love, Ivan cost about five bucks and I love him dearly. And even if we were willing to pay that much, an employee at the pet store told us that Otis is likely to grow to at least 45 lbs., so the condo association wouldn't let us have him anyway.

But I still can't stop thinking about that dog. The past two mornings, I've woken up early and lain in bed till my alarm went off. And both days, I couldn't help thinking, I could be taking little Otis for a walk right now. And yesterday, when I came home from work, I half expected him to come scampering up to say hello.

We'll find our Otis someday, I just know it. We'll keep looking, and we'll find him. But until then, I can't help thinking about that cute little pet store puppy, and wondering if he's thinking about me too.

3 comments:

hellokitty9276 said...

honey, you have to rescue a dog!! save a life!!

michael said...

I have experience with both store bought and rescue dogs. Both are very fulfilling ways of adding a little furry love to your life. Pugs and Chihuahuas are a good bet for your housing situation. Both are great with kids, don't eat too much, are not back breakers if you have to carry them down 3 flights of stairs, and contrary to popular opinion, Chihuahuas are not yappy little ankle biters. One even just saved a 1 year old from a rattlesnake attack in Colorado.

About Otis: Is anybody really going to weigh him? I think you are probably safe from eviction if you ask Otis to come live with you. You can't just walk away from true love.

hellokitty9276 said...

i have given it some thought. perhaps you should stick with your imaginary pet. you can walk him in your dreamy stupor and never pick up poo.

That would rock.

i suggest that route. i scoop poo ever day and it sucks. you know how much those fatties of mine eat. it reeks.