Thursday, July 26, 2007

My TV Pitch

Knowing that the Stapling Jello readership must include tons of television executives (or, at the very least, Marla, who watches television and who I think would get on board with this idea), I just had to share this.

I've been reading Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum series for about a year now, and I can't help thinking what a great TV series it would make. I've read all but the latest in the series -- One for the Money all the way through Twelve Sharp, including two "between the numbers" holiday books -- and every time I crack one open, I think to myself how enjoyable the adventures of bounty hunter Stephanie Plum would be on the small screen. Feisty women are big on TV these days; just ask Kyra Sedgwick.

These are my casting suggestions:

Stephanie Plum: Laura Prepon from That 70s Show, but she'd have to dye her hair I think. I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that Broadway leading lady Sutton Foster would be a viable candidate for the role as well. She's got star power, but she's also got that Everywoman look. If they want to go older, maybe Tracey Gold.

Lula, a former prostitute who becomes Stephanie's friend and coworker: Sherri Shepherd. I hear everything Lula says in her voice.

Vinnie, Stephanie's cousin and boss: I'm gonna go with the majority on the Janet Evanovich website here and go with Steve Buscemi.

Joe, Stephanie's on-again-off-again boyfriend: Fifteen years ago, I would have said Scott Baio (to Molly Ringwald's Stephanie Plum, no doubt). Today, I really have no idea. But I'm sure they'll find someone. Maybe Fred Savage. I don't know if he's tough enough, but I like him and would like to see him getting some more work.

Ranger, Stephanie's mentor and on-again-off-again object of lust: Benjamin Bratt. It's not a very creative choice, but he's easy on the eye and looks like he could kick some ass if needed.

Grandma Mazur, Stephanie's feisty grandmother: I like Estelle Getty, but I hear she's not well, so I'm gonna say let's just slap a ton of aging makeup on Marla's mom and let 'er rip.

Valerie, Stephanie's sister: Maybe Tracey Gold could play this part instead of playing Stephanie. It would be cool, too, if they could get Abigail Breslin to play Valerie's daughter who thinks she's a horse.

And here's my list of possible cameos, mostly as people Stephanie must apprehend:
Coreys Feldman and Haim, together again
Gary Coleman and Todd Bridges, together again
Danny DeVito
Jason Mewes
Bruce Springsteen, because he's from Jersey, just like Stephanie Plum
And just because we need a woman in there...Marla's mom, again. I just think there's a ton of potential there.

Final note: I think a good theme song would be an abbreviated version of "Head Over Heels" by the Go-Gos. But I might just think that because I read a lot of Plum books at the gym and listen to my iPod at the same time, and that song is one of my favorites in my workout mix.

2 comments:

hellokitty9276 said...

okay. you are officially hysterical.

I can see my mom as lula actually. i mean she isnt an obese black woman, but she has the language skills down pat. she could yap it up about the john's and she loves doughnuts. and shoes.

I always imagined vinny as an old fat italian guy. not likeable at all.

can i be that chick that stephanie is always at odds with (the one that was after joe at some point?) that lady is crazy and she is a....well....fill in the blank. i could master that role.

i think that barb could fill the big shoes of getty as the grandma. she does know how to pack a pistol and worked in a funeral home for years.

your ranger pick is right on. i feel like he should be a little larger....like the size of the rock. but without his weird head.

this blog rocks. i am going to forward it to my other evanovich nerds. they will appreciate the time you put into it.

ps- you are blogging alot today. are you in competition with me? i blogged alot yesterday. today i am too busy. and i dont have much to say.

pps- i think we should work on some SATC casting. that hot guy from across the hall could totally play blair underwood's character.

hellokitty9276 said...

i want to forward this to my mom, but i dont want her reading the rest of your blog and comments. you know how nosy she can be!