Thursday, August 02, 2007

Things That Just Have To Go

"I'm gonna party like it's _____." -- 1999 was almost a decade ago, and the song "1999" came out in the early 80s. I think we can stop using that lyric every time there's an event that has to do with another time period.

Palooza -- Made popular by music festival Lollapalooza, this suffix has been added to just about every word imaginable, and it's getting really old. Bingo-palooza. Birthday-palooza. Wedding-palooza. How about come-up-with-a-better-word-
for-it-palooza. Extravaganza is a good one. Or fest. Or even jamboree. Be a little creative.

Dancing animation on the internet -- Every time I go to one particular Web site, I see an ad for a mortgage company or something with a dancing alien. It's distracting and doesn't even have anything to do with the ad. I'll click on a clever ad, but if I'm shopping around for a mortgage, a dancing alien is pretty much going to make me avoid that company at all costs. A dancing alien doesn't exactly say to me, "do business with these people. You can trust them."

"____ and ____ and ____, oh my!" -- This Wizard of Oz reference is even older than the 1999 thing, yet people still haven't tired of it. Every time I have to say a list of three things, I cringe, because I know someone will inevitably follow it up with "oh my."

Traffic reports -- When I first lived in the city and commuted to the suburbs, I'd listen to them all the time, and never once did I hear anything that actually helped me. Most of the time, all you hear about are normal delays. You could pretty much copy today's traffic report and play it every day for the next three months and no one would notice. But when there's a crash or something that actually slows things down, you never hear about it. I can't count how many times I've sat in traffic, listening for the traffic reporter to tell me why I was idling on the highway, and no news ever came.

No comments: