Thursday, August 30, 2007

An Open Letter To My Client Who Begins Every E-mail With "I Hope All Is Well With You"

Dear Client Who Begins Every E-mail With "I Hope All Is Well With You,"

I'm sure you think you're being polite, because you seem OK otherwise, but really, I find this kind of patronizing. We've never met; we've never even spoken on the phone, and while I'm sure you have no reason to wish me ill, I highly doubt when you hit that "compose a new message" button in your e-mail program, you're thinking, "I really hope Erika is having a great day, and I'm going to tell her so." Especially when you've already e-mailed me five minutes before saying the same thing.

I feel I should let you know -- via this blog to which I will never direct you and which I am quite sure you will never find on your own -- that this fake nicey nice is actually really annoying, especially after you forwarded me the message you sent to your boss, which began with the same sentence. After reading that, I have a very hard time believing that you do in fact hope all is well with me.

Sincerely,
Erika

No comments: