Friday, January 11, 2008

Stella's First Slumber Party

Today is a very big day for my little dog.

But it's a bigger day for me.

This morning, I took Stella to the vet's office and dropped her off; she's getting spayed today. She'll spend tonight at the vet, and tomorrow after 10 a.m., I'll be able to bring her home.

I'm a little anxious about the surgery, but I'm more anxious about the fact that I won't see my peanut girl again until tomorrow. She hasn't spent a night away from my husband and me since we got her, and she's so attached to us; I worry that she'll be terribly lonely tonight with no one to cuddle her and no reminders of home.

But I know this is a good exercise for both of us. She needs to learn to become less dependent, and I need to cut the apron strings. My husband and I have a long list of places we'd like to travel, and we can't take her everywhere. Maybe spending a night away from home will help Stella when the time comes for us to board her.

I think she'll be treated well at the vet's office. She's so little and cute that everyone there fawns over her; in fact, the girl behind the desk when I went in this morning told me 10 times how cute Stel is and even asked to hold her. I know my puppy will get lots of love today. But I'm sure she'll still feel lonely when it's lights out.

And I'm sure I'll still feel lonely when I get home and there's no puppy there to greet me.

1 comment:

natasha | sohobutterfly said...

Good luck to Stella. Fingers crossed that she'll have an easy spay and will bounce right back. Honestly, the hardest part is keeping them calm for the week after the surgery!