Wednesday, January 23, 2008

More On Oscar

I got to thinking about how I've always said I don't care for award-winning movies (not because they're award-winning, that's just usually how it turns out), and I got to thinking, I must have seen at least a few Best Picture winners that I liked. So I looked up a complete list of the winners, and here's my rundown of what I thought of the ones I've seen.

Gone With The Wind (1939): Loved it. Loved it even more the second and third times.

Casablanca (1943): I thought it was overrated. Not bad, but not what I was expecting. But I think I might have liked it better had I lived in that time period and had some frame of reference of what was happening.

Am American In Paris (1951): Hated it. I like dancing, but this was like 15 minutes of movie and an hour and a half of dancing. I fast-forwarded through most of it.

Ben-Hur (1959): I don't remember being significantly impressed or disappointed with this one, but since I watched it in Mr. Giles' social studies class in 10th grade, I'm not surprised.

The Sound of Music (1965): Loved it, still love it.

Oliver! (1968): Liked it, but I liked all musicals back when I saw that. I did fall asleep during it though.

Terms of Endearment (1983): Liked it a lot, and used to be able to play the theme song on the piano. Still watch it when I see it on TV.

Amadeus (1984): Seeing as I saw this movie in 1984 (or whenever it came out on VHS), I don't really know if I formed an opinion. I remember pretty costumes though.

Forrest Gump (1994): Despite the fact that the tag lines got pretty old pretty fast, I really liked this one and still enjoy watching it every once in awhile.

Titanic (1997): Loved it, and I'll admit that I still cry at the end if I watch it alone.

Shakespeare In Love (1998): This was the first movie I ever saw in the theatre by myself. I thought it was great, and the dialogue was very witty, much like Shakespeare's writings, and I appreciate (almost require) witty dialogue in movies.

A Beautiful Mind (2001): I liked this one, but I wasn't as wowed as some people. But I saw it kinda late in the game and probably expected too much.

Chicago (2002): Somewhat entertaining but overrated. Also, I don't like Renee Zellweger at all, so that couldn't have helped. But I did like that Chicago won the year I moved to Chicago.

Crash (2005): Liked it a lot, although Munich was also nominated that year, and I liked that one better.

The Departed (2006): Liked it a lot. Satisfying plot twists and interesting characters, plus humor and that witty dialogue I love.

No comments: