Monday, January 07, 2008

The Girl Scouts: Empowering Women, 25 Cookies At A Time

A few months ago, I ordered Girl Scout cookies from a coworker's daughter. Much to my delight, they arrived today.

Another coworker bemoaned the cookies' arrival, saying it would ruin her New Year's diet resolution. I understand, in a way, but I think she missed the bigger picture.

We always hear "you are what you eat." Of course, that means if you eat healthy foods, you will be healthy, and if you eat crappy fatty foods, you will be a massive tub of goo. But I prefer to take the statement more literally when it comes to Girl Scout cookies.

I myself ordered the ever-popular Thin Mints and fudge-coated shortbread cookies called Thanks-A-Lot (so named because each cookie is imprinted with "thank you" in one of several languages). I am what I eat. Ergo, eating the cookies I ordered will make me thin and thankful -- sounds good to me!

The Girl Scouts organization is all about empowering girls and giving them positive, life-shaping experiences. So why not keep the streak going and use the cookies to empower grown women? That's what I say.

So, ladies, don't worry about that preposterous "serving size" printed on the side of the box. Hunker down with a box of cookies and munch till your heart's content!

On another note, I'd also like to take this opportunity to applaud the Girl Scouts (or, more specifically, ABC Bakers/Interbake Foods LLC) for making my favorite cookie treats dairy-free. Female empowerment should never include tummy trouble.

No comments: