Saturday, January 19, 2008

Bless Us, Oh King...

The first time it happened was in 1999. I was on my way to an out-of-town concert with my friend Darcey, and we stopped to eat at a Burger King along the way.

Somewhere in the middle of our meal, Darcey started laughing. Looking across the restaurant, I saw a table of people praying over their paper-wrapped sandwiches.

I couldn't help laughing too. My family never said a blessing before any meal, so maybe I just didn't get it, but I thought it was a little weird to pray over a greasy value meal. Darcey agreed.

"It's fine if you want to pray at home," she said, "but I don't think God cares if you bless your Whopper."

It was one of those moments in which a private joke was born; "bless your Whopper" became one of our favorite funny phrases to say to each other.

It happened again in 2002, again at a Burger King. I was eating lunch with a friend when a group of kids from the Catholic high school across the street came in. They bought their food, sat down, and prayed. I burst into giggles and tried to explain to my baffled lunch date about Darcey and "bless your Whopper." He didn't get it.

I thought it strange that I would witness the same phenomenon twice at Burger King. I've never seen anyone pray before a meal at any other restaurant, fast food or otherwise. What is it about Burger King that brings out people's faith?

I thought maybe it was just a fluke, but now I'm not so sure. Because today, it happened again. My husband and I were grabbing a quick lunch, and in came a group of five people. They bought food, sat down at a table and said a blessing before eating. I never knew Burger King was such a spiritual place. But it must be. I've seen this three different times in three different Burger Kings.

I'm still not sure what to make of it. But if I ever see the guy behind the counter turn fountain Coke into wine, I guess I'll have no choice but to bless my Whopper too.

No comments: