Thursday, January 31, 2008

Most Likely To Succeed

My little girl is a big graduate!

Last night, Stella received her puppy school diploma and departed her Petsmart training with new knowledge, self-esteem and a big yellow tennis ball.

As part of the graduation festivities, each dog got a moment in the sun, either to show what they'd learned in class or show off something they'd learned somewhere else. Stella chose to show off her superb walking-next-to-daddy skills, and did a few laps around the rink with my husband, off-leash. I was very proud. Eight weeks ago when the class began, she hated to walk with us; she would plant her feet and refuse to move. But after we learned that a few well-timed treats would keep her walking where we wanted her, she was leash walking like a champ and soon began to walk just as well off-leash.

I'm proud to say she received an enthusiastic round of applause.

I couldn't be happier about Stella's progress. She's learned a lot in these eight weeks -- and so have my husband and I. We've learned how to read her, and how to teach her things, when to reward her and when and how to correct her. And it's worked! She's a better listener, and she knows how to ask nicely for things, too. It's amazing how these small changes in behavior can make such big differences.

It's been really cool to watch her progress, and I'm looking forward to getting her into the intermediate level of her training. My sweet baby puppy is becoming a wonderful big girl!

No comments: