Friday, October 03, 2008

Things I Always Wanted When I Was A Kid But Never Got

A coworker of mine came in to work today with a hat that looks like a Hungry Hungry Hippo. She plans to wear it as part of her Halloween costume. When I was little, I always wanted that game but never had it. Seeing that hat got me to thinking about some of the other stuff I wanted but never got, and since my birthday is coming up, I thought I'd compile a list.

Snoopy Snowcone Machine -- I can't even tell you how much I wanted one of these. I don't know why; I don't even like snowcones. But even now, I think if I got one as a present, I might cry tears of joy...and then put it in the back of my kitchen cabinet, because I'd never, ever use it.

Cowboy (or Cowgirl) Boots -- In first grade, Krista Smith had a pair I coveted. They were gray. That is all I remember about Krista Smith.

My Little Pony -- I had a kick-ass My Little Pony game that had a carousel with a ball on top, and when you pumped the ball up and down, it made the carousel spin. Then whatever color came up when it stopped, you got a rubber stamp of the pony that color. And whoever got all the colors first won, or something. But I never had any actual My Little Pony ponies. In retrospect, I'm not sure why I cared, because I've never liked horses.

Leather Pants -- I'm not sure if I really wanted these or just thought they were super cool, but I remember saying once that I liked the ones on the lady in the "99 Red Balloons" video. My sister made fun of me. In retrospect, though, she was right. Leather pants would have a looked kind of strange on a six-year-old.

Pound Puppy -- We didn't have a real dog either. My parents were so mean.

Cabbage Patch Kid Musical Swing -- I totally don't remember wanting this, but a few years ago, when my parents pulled out the old Santa letters (erm, I mean copies of the Santa letters, because the originals obviously went to the big guy himself) I had asked for it like four years in a row.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I didn't have a Hungry Hippos and I don't remember ever wanting to own it, but I remember that I did really want to have a go on it sometime.

One day, my brother and I were playing at Stuart and Elisabeth's (friends from up the road) house ... and they had that game. I was so excited because finally I was going to get to play it!

Except I couldn't.

Why?

It said on the box "ages 5 to 8," and I was only 4.

I can't believe you never had a My Little Pony though. That's just cruel.

Anonymous said...

That's me, btw.

Kari