Friday, October 10, 2008

Canine Cum Laude

Last night, my little girl became a Canine Good Citizen!

For those not familiar, the Canine Good Citizen program is something created by the American Kennel Club to promote responsible dog ownership and obedience. To become certified, a dog must successfully complete a 10-item test.

It's almost hard to believe she was able to do it. Less than a year ago when we started puppy classes, little Stel was so afraid of other dogs that she would whine and hide behind my husband and me whenever they had playtime. Now, thanks to class and doggie daycare, my little girl is a social butterfly who can't wait to meet new people and puppy dog friends.

Stella still has some challenges to overcome. She still jumps up on people, and that's a really tough habit to break with a small dog; people tend to immediately bend over to pet her and reinforce the bad behavior. And she does get a bit barky when she's on her leash, although she's starting to grow out of it a bit and getting more selective about who should be on the receiving end. (For example, she no longer barks at the nice lady who lives upstairs and always pets her and says hi, but she still barks at McCrochety, who does nothing but complain about her and everything else. Smart girl.)

Still, she's learned enough to pass the test, and it's not an easy one. I do have to admit, a big part of me is just relieved that we don't have to repeat this class; we've been doing obedience since the end of last December, and I think the whole family is a bit tired of the routine. But when I think of how far we've come, I know all the time and effort was worth it. I'm so proud of my girl!

As for what's next, Stella plans to take a well-deserved break for a little while and then jump into therapy dog training, maybe early next year. Someday, she hopes to become a full-fledged service dog. Or a model, she can't decide.

After last night, I know she could do anything she puts her mind to.

No comments: