Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Expanding My Viewing Repertoire

Finally, I've joined the club.

About a year ago, I wrote about wanting a TV show of my own, an appointment-viewing show that I could watch and enjoy from the very first season. Most of my friends watch Grey's Anatomy, a show I can't stand, yet I always felt left out when they started talking about the latest episodes, because I could never participate. So I decided to get myself a show and hope someone I know also watched it.

At the time, I had decided to try Studio 60 On The Sunset Strip and The Nine. These proved to be bad picks. I found Studio 60 pretentious and The Nine boring. Apparently, the folks at the shows' respective networks agreed that the shows were no good, because both were scrapped.

But somehow, I ended up with a show anyway, thanks to my friend Marla and persistence by NBC -- Heroes. I'd seen the commercials for it last summer but thought it looked kind of stupid; however, after Marla told me it was good and I found out there was a marathon of the first handful of episodes on NBC one day, I thought I'd give it a shot. I'm glad I did; I got sucked in. Amazingly, so did my husband, who rarely watches TV that isn't sports, home improvement shows or American Chopper.

It felt good, in a completely dorky way, to be excited for the season premiere of a TV show. And when I turned on my computer and saw that Marla had changed her G-mail "status" bar to read, "erika, i wanna talk heroes!!" I knew I was truly in the TV watching club.

I decided to try a couple of other new shows this year as well; I'm kind of enjoying this TV watching thing. I'm not sure about this season's prospects, however -- I caught the premiere of Journeyman last night but got a little bored with the copious exposition. I might try out Dirty Sexy Money as well, but that one almost seems like it's going to try too hard to be edgy and sexy and end up getting stupid pretty fast.

Oh well. At least I'll have my Heroes.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

i love heroes!! now we have another show we can talk about! how exciting is that?! however, i must say, last night's premiere was a disappointment to me.

hellokitty9276 said...

dude. dirty sexy money was really great. and peter krause is hot. ps- i finally found out that the bank manager was responsible for the robbery. he helped plan it.