Thursday, September 11, 2008

United They Stand...For A Minute Or Two (Or, Waxing Politic)

I heard on the radio today that presidential candidates John McCain and Barack Obama plan to set aside their differences and visit Ground Zero together to observe the anniversary of the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks. The two also plan to pull their attack ads on each other, just for today, in a sort of temporary cease-fire.

We often hear that the aftermath of the 2001 attacks showed the best of this country. There were stories of daring rescues, dedicated volunteers rushing to the aid of survivors and donations of all kinds from across the country. People set aside their political arguments and united with their countrymen, against a common enemy.

I guess McCain and Obama are trying to rejuvenate in all of us that proud American feeling by doing this today, but to me, it isn't touching or heartwarming. It is one day of doing what they should be doing every day. I'm not saying they should begin each morning with a hug and a declaration of "I treasure your friendship," or even that they have to pretend to like each other or agree on anything. They are competitors; let them compete.

But instead of playing nice just for one 24 hour period, I believe it would make a far better statement to stand together today and announce they plan to pull the attack ads permanently and continue the election process in a dignified way. One day of unity is not unity. It is a publicity stunt.

I've wondered lately whether the poor voter turnout that is always being reported is really apathy, or simply a boycott. I, for one, am torn about November's election. Neither candidate is wowing me at this point. And while they saying goes, "if you don't vote in an election, you can't complain about the results," I don't know if choosing randomly, so long as you're choosing something, is a great way to go about picking the leader of a country.

I plan to keep an eye on both candidates for the next few months and hope one ends up standing out to me as the person I would like running my country. In the meantime, though, I plan to spend tonight sitting in front of the TV. A night without attack ads seems like freedom to me.

No comments: