Thursday, September 18, 2008

Expressions I Don't Like

"Staycation" -- Yes, yes, the economy is in the crapper, no one has money to travel, so we're enjoying the pleasures of home, and that's great. But the term "staycation" was only cute the first time.

"On the cheap" -- I don't even have anything to say about this; I just don't like it. I don't think it makes much sense, and anyway, wouldn't it just be easier to say "cheaply?"

"Pain at the pump" -- Another economy-inspired phrase, this one was also clever the first time and never since.

"Le sigh" -- According to urbandictionary.com, this came from Pepe Le Pew. Do we really want to be saying something a cartoon skunk first said?

And a bonus -- I don't mind so much when people say, "it is what it is," but I do mind when people complain about people saying "it is what it is."

No comments: