Monday, March 31, 2008

Elegy

My husband and I lost someone very special over the weekend.

We were both out of town; he had gone to a conference in Champaign, and I had taken Stella to my aunt's for the weekend, and we'd left our fish, Ivan, at home. He's been left alone before -- he even weathered a week by himself when my husband and I went on our honeymoon -- but this time, tragedy befell him.

I beat my husband home by an hour or two, and since Ivan hadn't been fed since Friday, the first thing I did was go to his bowl to give him some food. I didn't see him, although because of the shape of the bowl, he wasn't always visible. After a minute, however, I realized that I didn't see him because he wasn't in the bowl. He was on the floor. And he'd been there awhile.

I'm not sure if his death was an accident or if he jumped out on purpose -- either because he was upset that we all left him behind or maybe because he wanted to watch something on TV (he always was a fan of the tube) -- but there is definitely a void in our little family without him.

Godspeed, Ivan. Rest in peace, little buddy.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I just couldn't depart your [url=http://www.longchampsacpliage-fr.com]longchamp soldes[/url] website before suggesting that I really enjoyed the usual information an individual supply on your guests? longchamp sac roseau [url=http://www.longchampsacpliage-fr.com]sac longchamp cuir[/url] ,Is going to be back frequently in order to inspect new posts