Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Raindrops On Roses And Whiskers On Kittens...

Yesterday was a supremely awful one. It was one of those days where everything that could go wrong did, the kind of day that makes you just want to crawl under the covers as soon as you get home, even though it's still light out. (Which I did, actually).

Today, I awoke with a song in my heart and a smile on my face, thinking that as bad as yesterday was, today should probably be that good, to even things out. That feeling lasted for an hour or so, and then I got some bad news, and things went sour again. I guess it's just one of those weeks.

I was feeling really down, the kind of down where you don't even want to feel better, the kind where you just want to sit in a chair, stare into space and forget who you are for a week or so. That kind of down doesn't happen to me very often, but when it does, it scares me. And usually, it scares me into bringing myself back up. I knew that's what I had to do today.

Coincidentally (or not, if you've read The Celestine Prophecy), this quote popped up in my g-mail inbox today: "It is during our darkest moments that we must focus to see the light." (Aristotle Onassis) The thought is not exactly earth-shattering, but today especially, it resonated with me. So I decided to take old Aristotle's advice, and also the advice of Julie Andrews, and think not of what was making my day so bad but what would make my day better.

So here are a few of my favorite things, with obvious things like friends, family and my puppy excluded...

- super cheesy 80s music
- super cheesy 90s music (you just can't be mad when you're listening to the Spice Girls)
- liquidy ink pens
- tea
- getting my hair washed at the salon
- massages
- great yarn sales
- a DVD from Netflix in the mail
- guacamole
- e-mail
- warm, clean jammies after a long, hot bath
- warm afghans
- soy butter
- new jeans
- big, old trees and that great flip-flap noise they make in the summer breeze
- reruns of old TV shows I've always liked
- the library
- Christopher Guest
- homemade fries
- the kind of laughing that makes you almost stop breathing

No comments: