Thursday, October 04, 2007

iDiot

I suppose it was inevitable, but it is no less annoying.

I wasn't entirely surprised to see this story about a lawsuit filed by Dongmei Li of Queens, New York against Apple for slashing the price of the iPhone and discontinuing the less expensive of the two models of the phone. Li purchased one of the less expensive phones for $499 sometime between their debut and the announcement of the price cut and discontinuation.

Li, who is seeking $1 million, alleges in the suit that by cutting the price of the more expensive model from $599 to $399, Apple injured her and other early purchasers of the product because they are now not able to sell the phones they bought at the same price as those who bought them after the cut.

First of all, Apple doesn't make and sell products so that private citizens can buy them and make money off of them. People have a right to do so, I suppose, and if they can get a little cash, more power to them. But I don't think a corporation should be held responsible if it doesn't work out.

I also have to wonder how much Li thought she was going to get for her iPhone, as they aren't that difficult to find in stores, and people can order them right on Apple's Web site. Why would someone buy something a private citizen was selling for an inflated price when the company had the same product readily available for the retail price? I know that several people did resell the phones when the product first came out, but I have my doubts that Li could do the same for a profit at this point anyway, price cut aside.

But apparently, given the terms of the lawsuit, she thought the going resale price was $1,000,499. Yes, I know the award in a lawsuit covers legal fees and things like that, but as far as I can tell, this is not a class action suit at this point; once the piper is paid, Li would be the only beneficiary of the spoils.

Apple has issued an apology and made amends with people who bought the phone up to 14 days before the price cut, offering a $200 refund and, for those who bought the more expensive model, a $100 credit to be used at Apple stores. In my opinion, that was a pretty kind gesture; anyone who buys a product when it first comes out has to know they'll pay more than those who wait will. If you want to be one of the first kids on your block to have the new toy, it's going to cost you.

Consumers argued that they felt jilted because Apple cut the price so quickly after debuting the product, and I suppose if I had bought an iPhone during that time, I would feel slightly irked as well. I wouldn't want to buy a 4GB phone for $499 only to find out that I could get an 8GB model for $100 less. But I think in situations like this, a strongly-written letter to the company would do more good than a $1 million lawsuit.

Sometimes I'm not sure if people file these lawsuits because they truly believe they've been wronged or if they just want their 15 minutes of fame, even if it comes at the expense of their dignity.

No comments: