Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Closing In On 29, And The Quest For The Perfect Avocado

October is my birthday month, and I tend to celebrate all month long. But this month, I also have some work to do.

I tend to make my New Year's resolutions on my birthday, for two reasons -- first because it's a new year for me, and second, because if I slack for a few months, I can remake the same resolutions on January 1 and pretend the whole birthday resolution thing isn't true.

Well, I have to confess, I've been a slacker with the one and only goal I set for my 28th year, and it's not even a hard thing from what I hear. (I figured planning a wedding was hard enough that I didn't have to add a long to-do list and complicate things).

Now I am left with only 17 days in which to learn to make guacamole.

Everyone I know tells me it's easy, as long as the avocados are good. Exactly how to know an avocado is good, however, is something no one seems to want to divulge; all I've been told is, "they can't be too hard." But how hard is too hard? And once I somehow identify and acquire the perfect avocados, how do I actually smash them up to make the guacamole? Marla tells me that the Magic Bullet is not a good choice, but what is? A food processor? A potato ricer? Or should I stomp on them grape-style?

I suppose I could just do trial and error; it really can't be that hard to figure out. After all, my special area of cooking expertise is dips best served with tortilla chips. But every time I think about it, I am either not at the store or not in the mood.

So yesterday, to get myself in the mood (and because I was craving it), I went to the store and bought some ready-made guacamole. I still plan to learn how to make my own, sometime in the next 17 days, but I figure the Trader Joe's brand can serve as the "control guacamole," so I know if I'm making it right, or at least close to right.

But believe you me, I will reach that goal. I can't afford to get behind, because I've got some big plans for next year.

No comments: