Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Guacamole: Check

It's official. I have done it. I have reached the one goal I wanted to meet before I turned 29.

I have made guacamole.

After my husband and I gobbled the Trader Joe's guac that I bought last week, he not-so-subtly hinted that he would like some more. So on my way home from work on Thursday, I stopped and bought some ready-made guac. But with my Oct. 19 deadline looming in front of me, I thought it best to get started on making my own, and I picked up some avocados as well.

At this point, I still had no idea what good avocados looked or felt like, so I just grabbed. A few days later, Marla called and detailed for me exactly what a good avocado should feel like (firm, but with a little give) and look like (I forget) and how she prefers to smash up the avocados (just smash them, which is what I did, although I like my guac a little smoother, so I think next time I'll try the food processor).

After a hectic weekend, I decided that last night would be the big night. One of my four avocados had gotten really squishy, but the others were fine, so I sliced, gutted and smashed them up, added red onion, lemon juice, garlic powder and salt and reached for the tortilla chips for a taste test. The guac was a little bland, so I played with it, ultimately adding real garlic and a tiny bit of cumin. If I had had cilantro, I would have thrown that in, but unfortunately, I was fresh out. Next time, though.

It felt good to accomplish this goal. It felt good to stuff myself with homemade guacamole. And it felt really good when my husband told me he liked my very first attempt at homemade more than the store brand.

So what goals will I set for myself before I turn 30? I guess we'll find out in 10 days.

1 comment:

hellokitty9276 said...

perhaps you can write a dairy free cookbook in your 30's. i am so excited that i was so important in making this guac dream a reality.