Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Simple Things I Wish People Would Learn Regarding The English Language

1. An apostrophe shows possession, not plurality. If you want to pluralize something, an s is quite sufficient. When an apostrophe is used after the word "it," however, the word means "it is," not "belonging to it." An apostrophe should not be used for the word meaning "belonging to it."

2. The word "literally" means something actually happened. Don't say "I literally ate a whole cow" unless there's really really nothing left.

3. If you don't know that the word "grammar" is not spelled "grammer," then don't tell me you're picky about it. Even decent grammar can be ruined by bad spelling.

4. People are "who" and things are "that." It is incorrect to say, "the woman that works at the store."

5. Please don't say things like, "her and I." It's "she." "She and I went to the store." Similarly, when you are talking about yourself and another person, put yourself last. I cannot express how horrible "me and her" sounds.

6. Even after Ross yelled at Rachel on Friends, people still screw it up. Y-O-U-(apostrophe) - R-E is "you are." Y-O-U-R is "your."

7. Never end a sentence with a preposition, especially questions, because that just sounds awful. "Where you at?" I'm at the Grammar Police Station, and I'd like you to come in so we can book you.

8. "Alot" is not a word.

9. The word "mischievous" is pronounced mis-chuh-vuhs, not mis-chee-vee-uhs.

10. "Irregardless" is not a word.

2 comments:

Marco said...

Nice Erika!! Perhaps I should ask for your help to proof read the novel I'm writing.

:)

Anonymous said...

Please let everyone know that jew-el-ry is pronounced jew-el-ry, not jew-ry or jewl - er - y, and Italy has THREE syllables!

Love & kisses, Mom