Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Uncertain

Last night, my fiance and I began our journey toward a Catholic wedding by taking a scan-tron test, full of questions about ourselves, our relationship and our views of marriage. We each completed one, and on our next visit, our answers will be compared. According to the priest who will marry us, the process is meant to begin dialogue about things we might not have talked about, so the test was full of statements like, "my future spouse and I have discussed and agree on how to manage our money," or "my future spouse and I have discussed how we will divide the household chores," with which we had to say whether we agree, disagree or are uncertain.

Some of the statements left me baffled, because I couldn't believe people would not have discussed these things before considering marriage. Children, for example. To me, it seems common sense to at least talk about whether you want children, and how you plan to care for them, i.e. one parent staying at home, etc. These are things that could become big problems if two people aren't on the same page.

But those statements were nothing compared to some others, which left me absolutely horrified. I think about the people who would answer affirmatively to statements like, "I am sometimes afraid of my future spouse," and I'm not sure whether to feel lucky for myself or scared for everyone else. There were several statements about addiction and abuse, as well as things like, "I wonder if I am marrying the right person." I just cannot believe there are people who would even consider getting married under those circumstances.

But maybe I should reserve judgement till I see my fiance's answers.

No comments: