Friday, April 06, 2007

Good Friday

Today was one of those days.

No, not one of those days. The other kind. The kind of day when everything goes well, when the good karma you've put out into the world comes back to you. Those days are rare, but when they happen, it's always a wonderful surprise.

I had big errand plans today. Haircut, wedding odds and ends, car wash, cake at my fiance's office to celebrate our upcoming wedding. Not a terribly exciting day, although I do love cake.

I went to get my hair cut at a spa and salon that has several locations throughout the metro area. I'd been to the location in downtown Chicago (four of my six future sisters-in-law get their hair done by someone there; they recommended her to me, and I loved what she did), but I didn't want to spend half the day driving into the city, parking, getting my hair cut and driving home, so I figured I'd try the one near me.

I ended up having a great time. The woman who ended up cutting my hair was fun (although not quite as fun as the one downtown -- but maybe I just think that because that one told me over and over that my fiance's sisters love me), and I'm very happy with what she did to my hair. Then, when I was leaving, on my way to pay, she said, "would you like a complimentary makeup application?"

Uh, yeah I would!

So she handed me off to a makeup person, and I got a new look for my afternoon. It was a fantastic surprise to be pampered like that, especially for free, although I did tip the girl. When she was done, she gave me a coupon for another free makeup application!

I left feeling wonderful (and too pretty for the rest of my errands, but they had to get done). I went to grab a bite for lunch, and serendipitously, I ran into a friend from my old office, picking up lunch for the crew.

"Everyone usually sits together in the cafeteria and eats now," she said. "You should come over." So I did. And I got to have lunch with some pals instead of alone.

But the fun wasn't over yet.

The big wedding chore on my list was to order cookies for the reception (we're not cake people; we're big cookie people). I chatted with the lady, and as I was leaving, told her I wanted to buy a few cookies to take with me. She put a few into a bag and said, "it's on me."

Free makeup, lunch with friends and free cookies...and all of this happened before the cake and gift card we received from my fiance's coworkers.

Sometimes you just have a good day.

No comments: