Tuesday, April 17, 2007

No Wonder They Call My Parents The Fun Couple

With five days till my wedding, but nothing all that interesting to say about it, I find myself wanting to share a story about someone else. My mother.

This is my favorite Mom story of all time, and it's not even really about her but a friend of hers. I'm not sure if I like it so much because it's funny or if I feel that the friends she had back then prepared her for having such a goofy daughter (and I ain't talkin' about my sister).

My parents got married in 1968, when my mom was 20 and therefore not legally allowed to drink yet. My Aunt Nancy, however, was a few years older, so she, my mom and a couple of friends parked their convertible outside a bar, my aunt ran in and grabbed some beer for all of them, and they went out cruising around.

What a wild child my mom was. (Though not nearly as wild as my dad, who, on that same night, crossed a bridge standing on one foot on top of a van...or something like that, anyway. I've never quite understood that story, but I'm sure my sister will post the correct version.)

Anyway, at some point in the evening, my mom and company came across a bum walking on the sidewalk. He was absolutely filthy and eating a sandwich.

"Hey!" yelled one of my mom's friends out of the car. "What kind of sandwich is that?"

The bum replied, "hot ham."

"Hot ham!" my mom's friend exclaimed. "I love hot ham!" She jumped out of the car, grabbed the sandwich, took a bite, handed the sandwich back and went running back to the car.

I only hope my last night as a single girl is half as exciting.

Did that sound sarcastic? It wasn't supposed to.

No comments: