Wednesday, January 07, 2009

Foot-ball Follies

A few weeks ago, my husband and I were out shopping and stopped in a shoe store so he could look around. Once he'd made his selection, I was browsing the boots, and he balked at the name on one of the boxes.

"Did they really name a brand of shoe after a football player?" he asked.

My first thought was that it wasn't so strange -- after all, there were basketball shoes named after Michael Jordan. My second thought, however, was that we were nowhere near the athletic shoes and that he must be confused. So I asked.

"Which brand is that?"

"Steve Madden," he said. "Seriously, what's up with that?"

"Steve Madden is a shoe designer, sweetheart," I said. "The football guy is John Madden."

I think he was a little taken aback at my correcting him but impressed that I knew who John Madden was. Or at least what sport he was associated with.

No comments: