Wednesday, January 07, 2009

Coffee, Tea, And Me

Years ago, newly out of college and on my own for the first time, I worked at a law office in downtown Pittsburgh. Next door to the building was a Bruegger's Bagels where I would pick up my daily breakfast, and often lunch.

As a lover of all things edible, I've often thought the lactose intolerance I developed as an adult must simply be the Gods telling me, "alright, Erika, you've had enough." If that is true, Bruegger's was a great help in making sure I got my fill. Their cream cheeses were so excellent that, if I had one day to eat dairy without any consequences, I think I would go there first.

Of course, I needed something to help wash down all those bagels with cream cheese, so each day, I'd grab a mug of coffee as well. In December or January of the year I was there (and I think probably every year), Bruegger's began selling special travel mugs. They cost $100 each, but the proceeds went to a charity, and the buyer would get free drinks in the mug for the entire year. Seeing as I went there every weekday, often more than once, I decided to buy one for myself.

Before I tell the next part of the story, I want to make two points. One, the office where I worked was not that busy, and two, I have always been a sucker for a dorky, useless project. So...I sat down and figured out what a cup of coffee would cost in my $100 mug, depending on how many times I refilled it. If I only used it once, for example, the drink would cost $100. If I used it twice, each refill would cost $50, and so forth. I wanted to know how many times I had to use it before I paid less per cup than what I would have paid just going to Bruegger's and buying a drink. (Full disclosure -- I had a chart and everything.)

At the time, Bruegger's had a punch card you could buy for $5, and it entitled you to 10 refills of a drink of your choice. Hence, each refill would cost 50 cents. So I was hoping to refill my $100 mug enough times to get my price per cup at 49 cents or less. I think I made it to 63 cents a cup, and then I moved out of Pittsburgh and away from any bagel shops where I could continue my mission. (Full disclosure -- In the last few weeks before I moved, I went to Bruegger's at least three times a day so I could keep chiseling at that price per refill to get it as low as I could.) So my $100 mug turned out to be a bust. (Though I think the price per cup without the punch card was about 65 cents, so not that much of a bust.)

But now, I have a chance to redeem my beverage-loving self with the Starbucks Gold Card. For $25, I get a year of benefits such as 10 percent off of my drink purchases (merchandise too, although I never buy anything at Starbucks but drinks). And with my online registration, I am entitled to a free drink on my birthday, plus other discounts such as free soy milk.

It was that last thing that sold me on the card. Starbucks charges 40 cents for soy milk, and as a lactose intolerant person (Note to self: Come up with a catchy name for people who are lactose intolerant.), I have always been a bit put out by that. I don't really have a choice what kind of milk I get; I don't think it's fair that I have to pay 40 cents more. Be that as it may, with the free soy milk, if I buy just one drink per week for a year, my Starbucks Gold Card has nearly paid for itself. Add in the 10 percent discount, plus the cost of the latte I got for free with my card purchase, plus the cost of the drink I'll get free on my birthday, and it's more than paid for itself.

Am I going to make a chart this time? No. I really don't have that kind of time, and besides, what a geeky thing to do. That kind of thing might have been fun back when I had an entry level job and no real responsibility, but come on, I'm an adult now. I have a full, busy life to lead.

Yeah, okay, I might make a chart. But I probably won't type it and save it on my computer.

I might type it.

The point is, I'm glad that Starbucks has given me this second chance to score drink discounts and redeem myself from the shame of not taking full advantage of my $100 coffee mug. As God is my witness, I'll never be thirsty again.

No comments: