Wednesday, May 14, 2008

We Real Cool

The green movement has been around for years, but in the last few months, it's exploded. Every day, I see stories in the newspaper or online about ways to "go green." And while I think it's great that people are starting to pay more attention to taking care of the environment, I am pretty sick of hearing the phrase "go green." It's like somewhere, the Committee to Decide What Should Be Cool This Year voted that environmental responsibility is trendy, the word "green" shall be used when talking about it, and everyone must follow suit. It's annoying.

Besides, I fail to understand why slapping a trendy label on something should make people take responsibility for the things they should be taking responsibility for in the first place. The whole thing reminds me of when I was in elementary school and was constantly told by adults that the way to be "cool" was to do your homework, eat your vegetables and say no to drugs. Of course, in the same breath, these same adults would tell us kids that being cool isn't what is important and we shouldn't give into the pressure. However, that's another discussion for another time.

But if we have to endure this doing-what-you-should-do-anyway-is-cool phenomenon, I wouldn't mind if the Committee to Decide What Should Be Cool This Year decreed that using good grammar or wearing clothes that fit was the Next Big Thing.

1 comment:

brian said...

What would Kermit think? I mean it may still not be easy being green, but at least its cool...but wasn't Kermit always cool?