Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Helicopter of Love

Today is my Stella's first day at doggie daycare. Naturally, I am both excited and nervous for her.

She's not unfamiliar with the place; my husband and I boarded her there two weeks ago when we went on vacation. But since she is afraid of other dogs, I worry about how she will handle things. Nevertheless, the fact is, her lack of social skills is principally why she needs to go to doggie daycare in the first place, along with the fact that she is on energy overload lately and all the activity will do her good.

The daycare has web cams, so as soon as I had a free moment, I checked them out. There was my Stella, standing regally in a corner while dogs played all around her. She actually reminded me of me on my elementary school playground, except that she wasn't carrying a book. I was a little bummed that she wasn't playing, but after awhile, she wasn't cowering either, so I figured that was some progress. But then something happened.

One of the employees came into the area to mop up what was presumably some pee on the floor. When she returned the mop to its bucket in a little gated cubby accessible from the play area, Stella, ever the velcro dog, followed the employee into the cubby. The employee, not noticing, came out and shut the door, locking Stel in.

I was conflicted. Should I call and tell them or not? I knew they would find her next time they went for the mop, but how long would that be? And would she spend that whole time drinking from the bucket? I wouldn't put it past her; she has been known to put anything and everything into her mouth. I waited a few minutes, and then I had to call. I just couldn't bear the thought of my dog drinking dirty mop water. She's eaten things way worse, but even so.

The woman who answered the phone was a little rude, I thought. The conversation went something like this.

Me: My Boston Terrier, Stella, is there today. I was just watching her on the web cam and think someone might have accidentally locked her in the little closet thing where the mop is.

Her: We've been watching her closely, because she's shy and the other dogs were barking at her. Don't worry, she's fine.

Me: OK, but I'm actually calling because someone just mopped the floor in there, and when they put the mop away, she ran into where the bucket was, and I'm pretty sure she's still in there. I don't want to be a pest or anything; I just wanted to let you know, I'm pretty sure she's locked in with the mop.

Her: OK, bye.

I wasn't expecting an apology or even a "thanks for letting us know," but I was hoping for at least a "whoops, we'll go check and let her out." I kept watching, and they did check and let her out, but even so, I was a little offended that this woman seemed so annoyed that I had called. I wasn't rude or anything; I just meant it as a sort of heads-up. My friend Marla teased me about being a "helicopter parent" for watching Stel so closely, and I had to wonder -- did I make a mistake by calling the daycare? Should I have let it go?

As a first-time dog owner, I know I have a tendency to be overprotective at times, but I'm not sure if this was one of those times. It's not like I was calling to tell them another dog was picking on Stella and needed to be punished or that she was sniffing around like she had to go potty and they ought to take her outside. This wasn't an overprotective puppy parent thing; they had locked my dog in what was basically a closet. Besides, why did they install web cams if they didn't want to hear people's comments on their dogs' activities?

I like this place; I really do. Stella was loved and pampered during her weekend stay, and even today, after she got out of the closet, she ran around and seemed to be having a decent time. So I don't want to make them mad at me...but at the same time, I really don't feel like I deserved the brush-off.

2 comments:

hellokitty9276 said...

dude. if stell was about to drink mop water....you were totally justified to call them!!

Anisur07bd said...

Excellent site, keep up the good work my colleagues would love this. I have come some advice to about New York City Dog Daycare. Thanks for sharing.....