Monday, December 18, 2006

Stuffed

Anyone who reads this blog even casually knows that I love food, and I especially love sweets. So what I am about to say is going to seem completely out of character, and, to be honest, even I am surprised to be typing these words. But the fact of the matter is...

I just can't eat any more Christmas treats.

It started very innocently, the day I decided to get a jump start on my holiday baking by making Oreo Balls (smashed up Oreo cookies mixed with cream cheese and covered in chocolate) and chocolate covered peanut butter crackers (two saltines with peanut butter in between, covered in chocolate) and Chex Party Mix (just the regular kind, although I do make a chocolate-covered version of that too). For a few days, I sampled the treats modestly, taking care not to pig out too much.

But then it snowballed.

A visitor to my office brought with him a huge package of Godiva chocolates and a great big tin of chocolate covered cookies, which was put in the kitchen right next to the half-full box of candy a client had sent awhile back. Then our cleaning ladies brought us some cookies, cupcakes and fudge. Today, I went in there and saw a gift basket full of all kinds of holiday treats. Did I mention there are only eight of us in the office?

And at home it was just as bad. Once the chocolate covered stuff and the Chex Mix had been either eaten or pawned off onto someone, I thought it safe to buy a bag of Hershey's Kisses for a candy dish on my coffee table. But then my sister sent me some beef and cheese logs and some petit fours, and I received a stocking full of candy bars and a box of the most delicious shortbread cookies in the history of mankind in a gift exchange. Throw in a couple of get-togethers, and December has made for some snug pants, let me tell you.

It's not like I've been pigging out nonstop, but it has been tough to resist all this wonderful food, especially when it just arrives on your doorstep. I'll admit, the Oreo Balls, peanut butter things and Chex Mix were my fault, but even after I decided to put a moratorium on Christmas cookie baking, my kitchen is still full of delicious, wonderful, tasty food.

I think it's wonderful that people share food at Christmas. I enjoy cooking and baking for people, and I certainly enjoy eating. But I just don't think I can do any more of it this year.

I'm starting to go into a sugar coma.

No comments: