Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Whenever I Want You, All I Have To Do Is Dream

I had the most delicious dream last night.

Every once in awhile, I have a dream that stays with me for a day or so, either because it's just so awful or just so wonderful. This was one of the latter. In this dream, I got to do something that I haven't been able to do for a very long time and may not be able to do again.

I ate thin, greasy pizza.

I know it sounds like a silly thing to dream, but since I cut back drastically on dairy almost a year ago, and cut it out completely soon thereafter, I have found that there's nothing I miss more than pizza. There are acceptable dairy-free substitutes for milk, butter and even sour cream, but I have not yet found a dairy-free cheese that I like. And even if I could find one, I'd have to make my pizza at home; I couldn't exactly take the stuff to my local pizza place and ask them for a large pie with pepperoni and soy.

And eating the real thing every once in awhile isn't really an option. Once a month or so, I'll allow myself a cookie made with real butter or a handful of milk chocolate candy, but pizza was almost too much for me even when I ate dairy regularly. I wouldn't dare touch the stuff now.

But in the dream, I dug right in. I heaped a plate with two gigantic pieces of pizza and took big, cheesy bites with reckless abandon. I kept explaining to people that eating this pizza didn't matter; I think I must have realized I was dreaming, and I'd better take the chance while I had it.

I feel a little silly (if not gluttonous) that a dream of eating pizza is the one I wish would come back. But hey, if delicious dairy is the thing I wish for most right now, I guess life can't be so bad, right?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I wonder if this dream was really about you trying to convince yourself that it was okay to spend a little bit extra on the more expensive bicycle you bought the next day.