Wednesday, June 11, 2008

My Must List For Summer

I have a thing about lists. Always have, really. I feel like it's a good way to take stock of things, or to plan things. When you have it all written out in front of you, you can't forget anything.

Every year when summer rolls around, I say I'm going to do wonderful, outdoorsy summer things and then never do. Summers in Chicago are hot, sticky and gross, and once the one week of nice weather is over, all I want to do is sit in an air conditioned room and read.

But if I make a list of things to do, I will most certainly do them. And after this past winter and all its cold and snow, I really need to get out. So here is my list of summery things that I will do this season.

1. Take many, many rides on my new bike. At least two a week.

2. Take Stella for a lot of walks and to the dog park at least once a week. This one will have to depend on weather, though, because with her smooshy face, Stel can't handle too much heat and humidity. Plus she's had a little tummy trouble lately, so she's laying low for a little while at least.

3. Eat at least one meal a month outside. This actually doesn't sound like much, but since I have no space to eat outside at home, it takes a special effort to do so.

4. Sit on my balcony with my husband, just like we say we will every nice day and then forget about when we get involved in doing other things.

5. Go to an outdoor event, like a concert or movie in the park.

6. Use my homegrown herbs in my cooking as much as possible.

7. Go to the local pool. I'm normally not a local pool kind of gal -- a backyard in-ground pool was the one big luxury I had growing up -- but it's half-price in the evenings, and I love to swim, so maybe it's time to get used to sharing water with other people.

8. Go hiking. My husband and I will be spending a week in the woods of Pennsylvania at the end of July, so that one shouldn't be a problem.

9. See a summer blockbuster when the weather gets unbearable.

10. Find a dairy-free alternative to ice cream that I can have as a refreshing summer treat.

No comments: