Monday, November 05, 2007

Christmas Songs I Wish Someone Would Put On A Mix CD For Me

I listened to Christmas music on the radio all weekend.

It almost felt wrong, and it definitely felt too early. But like I said the other day, after Christmas is over, nothing good happens for several months, so doggone it, I'm going to make the most of Christmas.

The trouble is, there are a lot of Christmas songs I don't particularly like. And I find those get in the way of the ones I do. A few months ago, I posted a list of songs I wanted someone to put on a mix CD for me, and no one ever did (except for "Baby Got Back," but I had to beg). Anyway, I figured I'd try with Christmas songs and see if anyone wanted to oblige.

"Christmas Time Is Here" by Vince Guaraldi Trio -- It's just not Christmas without this Charlie Brown tune.

"All I Want for Christmas Is You" by Mariah Carey -- This is the only song of Mariah Carey's that I can stand. It came out when I was in high school and no doubt had my eye on some boy I was hoping to meet under the mistletoe, so it gives me a nice nostalgic feeling. Which in itself is a miracle, because most of the boys I had my eye on in high school never took notice of me. But it also makes me think of the movie "Love Actually," which also gives me warm Christmas feelings.

"I Want A Hippopotamus for Christmas" by Gayla Peevey -- Even though this was released in 1953, I had never heard it until two years ago. And I started hearing it all over the place. So it became the Christmas theme of 2005 for me. And "hippopotamus" is such a musical word that I just can't help loving this song.

"Happy Christmas (War Is Over)" by John Lennon and Yoko Ono -- I didn't pay much mind to this song until five years ago, when I sang it in a Christmas cabaret. It's a nice song. Kind of depressing, though, that it was recorded before I was born and is still relevant.

"Baby It's Cold Outside" -- But it has to be an old version where they still let the woman say "maybe just a cigarette more" instead of changing it to something healthier.

"Sleigh Ride" by The Ronettes -- Nothing brings holiday cheer like a little "ringalingaling ding dong ding."

"I Yust Go Nuts At Christmas" by Yogi Yorgesson -- My parents had this on 45 when I was a little kid, and I remember listening to it over and over. I think I probably still know all the words.

"Please, Daddy (Don't Get Drunk On Christmas)" by John Denver -- I heard this on the radio the day before I left college my freshman year for Christmas break and not once since. It's not supposed to be a funny song, but with the story of how the dad fell down under the Christmas tree and drunkenly yelled out "Merry Christmas," I don't see how it could not be.

"The Grinch Song" by Thurl Ravenscroft -- A classic tale, a classic song, and a classic reason to get Stella some antlers.

"Mele Kalikimaka" by Bing Crosby -- Even though it was April, I had this song going through my head the whole time I was in Hawaii. I even bought a Christmas ornament in a souvenir shop.

Really, anything by Bing Crosby -- He might have been an SOB in real life, but that man can croon a quality Christmas song. When I was little, my Aunt Shellie made my mom a mix tape of Christmas music, and it was a favorite in our house at holiday time, as was the movie "White Christmas." If anything gives me warm, fuzzy holiday feelings, it's Bing music. When I hear it, it's like I'm automatically transported back to my mom's kitchen, pressing Hershey's kisses into hot peanut butter cookies. And as we all know, there's no place like home for the holidays.

No comments: