Wednesday, February 14, 2007

You'd Think That People Would Have Had Enough of Silly Love Songs

I'm pretty indifferent about Valentine's Day.

When I was a kid, I loved it. In elementary school, we all made little paper envelopes that hung around the classroom and exchanged those fold-over cards taped together with heart stickers. It was a nice break from education, and sometimes, we got candy. And I could usually look forward to some little gift from my parents, chocolates or jewelry or some such trinket.

In later, single, years, I became one of those anti-Valentine's Day people, partly because I was bitter, and partly because I failed to see the romance in buying the same bouquet of roses and box of candy for someone on the same day, year after year, simply because the calendar says one should.

Nowadays, the bitterness is gone. I'm getting married, in 67 days, to the man of my dreams; I have no reason to complain about my love life. But I still don't see what's so romantic about getting flowers and candy on February 14. In fact, I think it is one of the most unromantic things in the world -- in my opinion, a gift like that says, "I got you this because there was a big display in the store, not because I think you will like it." Luckily, my fiance has similar feelings about the whole thing, and last year, we both had other things to do on Valentine's Day, so we didn't even see each other. He did make me some chocolate-covered strawberries, which I will admit is more Valentine-y than I am used to, but I appreciated the work he put into it, and I always appreciate good chocolate.

This year, I had all but forgotten V-Day until a few nights ago, when my beloved asked me what I wanted to do to celebrate. I was shocked.

"I thought we didn't do Valentine's Day," I said, puzzled.

"I know, but I thought we could do a little something," he replied, and he seemed genuinely sad when I told him that I had a meeting to attend tonight.

I suppose it would be nice to somehow commemorate the occasion. With the wedding coming up so soon (and most of the hard work done), we are in high romance mode these days. This is our first -- and last -- Valentine's Day as an engaged couple; that ought to mean something, right?

When I started writing this entry, I wasn't so sure that it did. I felt like the fact that we are engaged almost makes the day obsolete. I don't need a day to remind me that we are in love. Putting our wedding invitations in the mailbox yesterday meant more to me than any bouquet of flowers or heart-shaped candy box ever could.

And maybe that's the key here. Maybe the whole point of today is that it is no different from yesterday, no different from tomorrow.

So this Valentine's Day, I do plan to celebrate. I am celebrating the thrill I get every time my sweetheart walks into the room, the smile he gives me when he says "I love you." I'm celebrating the little things we do for each other, the things that make us laugh, the kisses, the hugs. I am celebrating those things today, because I celebrate these things every day.

And because of that, I hope I am always indifferent to Valentine's Day.

No comments: