Tuesday, February 13, 2007

An Open Letter To Puxsutawaney Phil

Dear Punxsutawney Phil,

For many years, I have trusted your weather predictions, and this year, I was thrilled to learn that you had predicted an early spring. The news was very welcome, as the month of February began with a cruel vengeance.

Sure, it's below zero now, I thought to myself, but that groundhog knows what he's talking about.

But, Phil (may I call you Phil?), as of today, February has only gotten worse, and I am wondering when this early spring you have predicted is scheduled to show. At this very moment, snow is coming down and blowing all over the place. We've only had a few days all month in which the temperature went above 20, and just last week, we got dumped on with snow.

It makes me wonder if I can really trust you. Furthermore, it makes me wonder if you haven't just gotten sick of people booing you when you predict six more weeks of winter. I know it must be tough to endure the negative publicity, but Phil, you've got a job to do.

Don't give in to the pressure, Phil. Don't predict an early spring just because you know people will cheer. We count on you to tell us the truth, good or bad; do not let us down again.

Sincerely,
Erika

No comments: