Tuesday, July 18, 2006

An Open Letter To Taco Bell

Dear Taco Bell,

Last week, I had the opportunity to visit the drive-thru of one of your fine locations to get myself a Spicy Chicken Crunchwrap Supreme and a drink. I had not visited a Taco Bell in a few years, due to awareness of good nutrition and a desire to eat quality food. However, the introduction of the crunchwrap and its catchy "good to go" slogan, coupled with the craving for delicious food with nothing much to offer me health-wise, moved me to do so.

First of all, I want to say that the Spicy Chicken Crunchwrap Supreme is a fine addition to your repertoire. The combination of the soft and crunchy is pleasing, and the chicken is spiced very nicely -- not too much, but enough to give it a kick. It was also a lot less messy than your other products, making it possible for me to eat it in the car. I do think, however, that the crunchwrap could use much less nacho cheese and much more sour cream. Perhaps if you switched the ratios of these two products, you would be more on the right track.

Secondly, I would like to address your new "fourth meal" ad campaign. I realize that people who eat at your establishment on a regular basis are typically not the health-conscious sort. So a fourth meal is an idea not foreign to them. I do, however, feel that marketing to these folks is rather cruel.

Obesity rates in this country are sky-high, and a big reason for that is the fact that people gorge themselves on food from establishments like yours. These people don't need a fourth meal at all, much less one from Taco Bell. You might as well just change the campaign to "Taco Bell: Proud Sponsor of Morbid Obesity." I doubt it would stop people from coming in anyway.

I know what you're going to say.
The fourth meal campaign also targets the drunk twentysomething, and not all of them are obese. This is true; however, think about it for a moment. The ingredients in Taco Bell's food are not exactly conducive to a restful night's sleep after an evening of drinking. Most people I know who have eaten Taco Bell food while drunk have not kept it down and now refuse to visit your restaurant again because even the smell that wafts into the parking lot brings back bad memories.

So, you see, the "fourth meal" ad campaign will ultimately shrink your customer base. The customer who becomes obese after regular visits will develop health problems and either change his diet or die (either way, he's not coming back to Taco Bell), and the drunkard will refuse to return, even for the occasional Spicy Chicken Crunchwrap Supreme.

I implore you to take the word of this humble consumer and pull this campaign now, for your sake and mine. I would like Taco Bell to still be open three years from now when I get a taste for your food again.

Sincerely yours,
Erika

No comments: