Tuesday, June 08, 2010

Coffee Talk

As I mentioned in last night's entry, yesterday wasn't a great day. Between working, being in the play and everyday life stuff like grocery shopping, cleaning and laundry, I am running myself a little bit ragged these days. Yes, it's all what I signed up for, but after working from home and having ample time for everything over the past eight months, it's been a difficult transition back to the real world.

Today, though, I was determined to make better than yesterday. Despite not sleeping well last night, I got up, got ready, and left for work with a smile on my face -- or, at least, an expression other than a frown. I stopped at the Starbucks down the street from my house to pick up a little energy boost, feeling good that the day was starting out so well.


I received a greeting I did not expect. A woman, waiting for her drink and obviously in the midst of telling a funny story, turned to the door and yelled (with a smile) "BITCHEEESSSSSSS!" just as I was walking in. I smiled to myself, and maybe to her a little bit, as if to say: "I don't know what that was about, but it was a mildly amusing moment." She must have felt bad, though, because as I passed her, she said, "not you, ma'am." I laughed and responded, something about it being a nice way to start my day. Whatever I said, it didn't make much sense and probably sounded a bit mean. I didn't intend it that way, but come on, I hadn't even ordered my coffee yet, let alone consumed it.


The woman's friend, or coworker, or whatever he was, smiled at me and said, "you're a lovely person," to which I smiled, and before the pair left, the guy told me to have a nice day, and the lady said the same.


I have to admit, I'm curious what the woman's story was about. She was wearing what looked like a security guard uniform; perhaps she was telling of something that happened at work. But if the universe has a sense of humor, I like to think she was talking about her friend Steve, who works at the expensive gym, and some of the people he has to call.

No comments: