Monday, January 22, 2007

Bear Down...Or Is It Hunker Down?

As anyone who has ever attempted to make "how 'bout them (insert sports team name here)" small talk with me knows, I don't really care about sports. At all. I have no interest in sports whatsoever and often find sports fans annoying.

Note: I don't discriminate there; I find most kinds of fans annoying. And while you may rightly say I am easily annoyed, don't even try to tell me that people are generally welcoming of fans of something they have no interest in. Old ladies screaming at an Elvis impersonator concert, those stupid teenagers on TRL (if that show is even on anymore), mulleted NASCAR-watching rednecks shouting "git r done!." All annoying. But I digress.

Despite my aversion to sports, I have to admit, I enjoyed living in Chicago when the White Sox won the World Series two years ago. I was also excited yesterday to watch the Bears beat the Saints to earn a trip to the Super Bowl. Alright, so I only watched the last two minutes of the game, but still. That's about as much as I watched of last year's Super Bowl. That's all I really need to see, honestly; I get to see the moment of victory, but I don't have to watch the actual game. (I watch a lot of TV like that -- I also tune into Trading Spaces in the last five minutes to see the before-and-after and the reactions, but I don't watch the actual work part of it).

But now I am most certainly going to have to watch the Super Bowl. It was appalling enough to people last year when I chose not to watch the Steelers, since I lived in Pittsburgh for the blink of an eye and should therefore be a huge fan, or something. But now it's the team in the town where I currently live, the team everyone I know is rooting for. And since Rex Grossman is the only NFL quarterback I can name, I guess that makes me more a fan of the Bears than any other team.

I like the idea of a Super Bowl party, for sure. There's always good food. But I found out the hard way that people get upset if you just come to eat and try to leave before the game starts. Some people like the commercials, but I don't really care about those. And since the average length of a Super Bowl game is approximately 400 hours, I get kinda bored.

So what am I going to do when Super Bowl Sunday rolls around? I imagine I'll be at some gathering or another; I've already been invited to one, but the invitation didn't say whether there would be chili dogs or cheese dip, so I'm not sure I want to chance it. Or maybe I'll just go shopping. The stores are bound to be empty during the game.

In any case, I'm rooting for the Bears. 'Cause I'm not even sure who the other team is.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Erika....I know you have a lovely singing voice...so, learn the words to the Bears fight song...
bear down Chicago Bearrrrrrssss..
and no one will know you aren't a sports fan.